Allegheny West: A School’s Hidden Treasure
Tucked away on West Clearfield Street in Allegheny West, the St. James School prospers within a national historic landmark that is arguably one of North Philadelphia’s greatest hidden treasures – the Church of St. James the Less.
Constructed in 1846, the Church of St. James the Less once had a thriving congregation in what was then the Pennsylvania countryside, where English immigrants came to be free of religious persecution. Now, more than 160 years later, the church serves as the focal point for the St. James School, where students are submerged in its rich Episcopalian heritage and legacy.
Recognized as a National Historic Landmark by the National Park Service in 1985 for its Gothic architecture and original English parish design, the church still stands tall today, holding a special place in the lives of the students and faculty.